Friday 17 October 2014

Cold Sheeping

Last year I set myself the challenge of seeing how long I could last without buying yarn. Just under a week ago I reached the 1 year mark. For 1 year I have not bought any yarn and have worked almost entirely from stash. I say almost entirely because Mr Soaring Sheep has bought me two skeins of sock yarn during that time. It wasn't something I asked him to do so I'm not counting it as breaking my Cold Sheep, he was just being lovely :)

During that year I have knitted and crocheted upwards of 17354.4 yards of yarn. Or in other words almost 10 miles. Yikes!

I now have around 12 miles of yarn in my stash and it's still shrinking. I am intending to stop Cold Sheeping now though and instead continue trying to use up my stash if I can but also allowing myself to buy yarn for a specific project that I'm about to start. Some people refer to this as "Moderate Merino" lol :)

I've really enjoyed this past year of having to challenge myself but also being able to use up some of those yarns that I've hoarded for a while.


So this isn't a completely photo free post I thought I'd share some photos of my Framlingham sweater that I made over 2 years ago and yet never got round to taking photos of. It's a nicely written pattern with a pretty mock cable detail. I mostly wear it around this time of year with a long sleeve top as it gives that bit of extra warmth without being too hot.

DSC_0073


^ I don't normally look like that, I was pulling silly faces at Mr Soaring Sheep and ironically I prefer this expression to my attempts at smiling and posing

DSC_0076


I used Wendy Merino DK in the Mulberry colourway. It's really pretty with dark blue and almost pinky purple fibres woven in to the main purple colourway. It's washed and worn well too given it's been two years since I knitted it. I'd definitely recommend it.

I followed the pattern pretty much as written apart from adding some extra length. I'm enjoying being able to wear it again now the weather is cooler.

Thank you for the lovely comments about my Grace cardigan, I'm so pleased with it and really touched at some of the comments that were made :)

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'm going to hopefully enjoy some autumn sunshine and also work on my shawl as I've got to the beaded section now :)

17 comments:

  1. Oh I love this knit on you, that yarn looks amazing! Well done on making a whole year of cold sheeping - that is uber impressive, good luck with the moderate merino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's one of my favourite items of clothing this time of year :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I love the term "cold sheeping". It's so hard not to buy more yarn. I'm really trying to go through my stash before buying....sometimes I just don't have the right color. I have considered overdying some of it though.

    Love your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I wish I could claim the credit for it but it was via ravelry. I found my biggest problem was I had stashed lots of aran/worsted weight yarn and I wanted to knit dk and sock weight projects. It was a fun challenge though :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely top! That's amazing going that long without buying yarn, well done. Perhaps after I build up my stash I could try it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe it was building up my stash that meant I needed to try it :-S It was good feeling like I'd got permission to knit up the Precious Yarn's I'd been hoarding though

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on a year of Cold Sheeping! I am really impressed it's quite an accomplishment! I've tried over and over again this year and have failed to stick to it. I have gotten my stash down quite a bit even so, maybe I'm a Moderate Merino - love that term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank :) I think Moderate Merino is harder in many ways, too tempting to just binge on yarn. With Cold Sheeping you can avoid temptation easier

      Delete
  5. Way to go!!! I suck at not buying yarn. Oh well, it will keep me company in my old age? I am seeing a pattern here of purple? LOL, both sweaters are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah purple is my favouritest colour lol. I even have purple boots!

      Delete
  6. Very professional looking sweaters. You look great in violets! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really lovely sweater and the yarn is to die for, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two gorgeous purple sweaters! You are such an expert at getting them to fit!
    I really should "cold sheep" for a year. Actually, I keep trying to, but I don't seem to have any self control! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lasted about nine months without buying and then started up again. Once December is over, I'll be doing that again. I feel more creative looking through my "shop". Love your sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These purples look good on you, girl! Your hair is darling. You are so good with the cold sheeping. I need to do a better job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous raglan detail - I love it. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...