Friday 10 January 2014

Boy knitting is hard!

I've never knitted a jumper for a man before. I've never knitted for an adult other than myself before actually. Well apart from hats, scarves etc. which don't really count lol. I followed Sarah's advice in the amount of ease to aim for with the Alec XL jumper and cast on the large size. Unfortunately I have a funny-shaped husband who whilst he has broad shoulders he has a slim waist and arms. The waist could have been sorted with a few more decreases although I don't mind it being a bit baggy. The arms on the other hand... well have a look

DSC_0078


It's just not working is it. I'm going to frog back and start the decreases earlier up the sleeve. I might also do a couple of extra ones to get the arms to more of a medium size rather than large. Luckily as it's the weekend I'll have him around for a couple of days so I can keep trying it on him. I don't mind a bit of bagginess on the sleeves and if I decreased them too much they'd look odd. If I knit this pattern again I'll play around with the numbers and knit him medium sleeves and body with a large chest lol

7 comments:

  1. It's great how patient you are with this project and how you can custom make this gansey for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because I know how much time I've spent on it already and I want him to wear it a lot. And if he's wearing it a lot and the sleeves are bothering me then that's not going to be fun!

      Delete
  2. Its so going to be worth to have it looking great! So many people don't really fit the 'standard sizes' - me included, I knit a chest size and then 2 sizes bigger for hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if anyone does! I had no idea what a standard man size was apart from finding out that it's not what he is lol

      Delete
  3. I'm often amazed I can just buy clothes off the rack ... knit patterns *never* fit me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will definitely get there, and you should definitely persist until you get it 'right' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the arms are why I'm afraid to finish my first sweater....all that knitting you must tear out :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...